Hello my sister is having downs syndrome doctors are suggesting general anesthesia for her cataract surgery. Is this normal?

Cataract Anesthesia. Yes, patients who have mental retardation, inability to sit perfectly still or difficulty with communication frequently have cataract surgery under general anesthesia.
See below. This surgery depends on the co-operation of the patient to remain still while the surgeon is operating inside the eye. In your sister's case it might be felt that the general anesthesia is the best option to ensure that she does not move. Talk to your surgeon and anesthesiologist before the operation. Good luck.