I'm currently taking levofloxacin 500mg tablets for a sinus infection, can this also be used to treat the yeast infection i've developed?

Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: It likely caused it.

Levofloxacin in a broad spectrum antibiotic that not only kills bad bacteria, but also the good ones that maintain an environment that is hostile to yeast.
Most likely, the very antibiotic you think could be used, is likely what contributed to the cause of your infection. I would recommend a dose of Fluconazole (diflucan) 150mg by mouth.

In brief: It likely caused it.

Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po
2 comments
Dr. Katharine Garnier
I agree but you should also add either yogurt with an active culture, like activia, or acidophilus capsules, or what is called a probiotic, all available without a prescription, to help keep your gi tract and body in balance when you are on an antibiotic. topical antifungals can also work for this if you don't want a pill.
Dr. Martin Raff
One problem with Lactobacilli is that they are usually quite sensitive and killed by the antibiotic being used. Used after stopping the antibiotic can be helpful.
Dr. Harris Cohen

In brief: No

The antibiotic that you are taking has probably caused the yeast infection (antibiotics can kill some of your good bacteria as well) -- treatment for a yeast infection is an over the counter topical antifungal (i.
e. Monistat) or an oral antifungal (diflucan).

In brief: No

Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen