I had mild case of chicken pox when young- had shingles when I was in hs. If I come in contact with someone now at age 40 am I more susceptible tothem?

Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Pain Management

In brief: You are already...

But you won't "catch" the virus from contact.
....When you had chicken pox in hs, it was caused by the zaricella virus.It is the same virus that causes shingles. The virus stays in your system forever, but may or may not reappear as shingles as you get older. You won't "catch" the virus now since you already have it, even if you come into contact with someone with oozing chickenpox or shingles.

In brief: You are already...

Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: NO, less likey

Shingles is not contagious except to someone who has never had chickenpox.
Historically, the usual mode of transmission was a grandparent developed shingles (shedding chickenpox virus) and gave it to young children who had never had chickenpox. Now varicella vaccine is given to most 1 year olds. Your immunity should be moderate-high after having shingles in past unless immunocompromised.

In brief: NO, less likey

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Steven Seres