I broken my right foot 7 weeks ago during an accident. Doctor said it was fracture of 5th metatarsal bone. Why is the pain and swelling still hasn't gone down?

Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry

In brief: 5th met fracture

Generally it takes 6-8 weeks for bones to show radio graphic healing (x-ray healing) but reality is that bones take longer to heal completely.
If you didn't have surgery, usually 3-4 months of healing and recovery is needed, but because it's the 5th met, you may still need surgery (it's a difficult bone to heal, sorry). Best of luck!

In brief: 5th met fracture

In brief: 5th met

Fractures usually heal in 6-8 weeks.
If it was a jones fracture then it usually requires surgery. Talk to doctor who treated it. I assume it was immobilized and stay off it. Get another x-ray to see if its healing.

In brief: 5th met

Fractures usually heal in 6-8 weeks.

In brief: metatarsal fracture

This is usually an avulsion fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal.
It can take a while to heal - 8 weeks is common - and not be completely healed longed than that. It can also require surgery early if bad enough , or later if healing is not accomplished. See your podiatrist for follow up x rays and consultation.

In brief: metatarsal fracture

Dr. Marc Foucher
Podiatry

In brief: Jones fracture?

A jones fracture is a 5th metatarsal fracture in a specific location at the base of the bone and can be notoriously slow to heal.
Surgery is often indicated but not always. A bone stimulator can give you a good chance of avoiding surgery if the fracture is not out of alignment,(displaced). See a board certified podiatrist or orthopaedist that treats foot trauma.

In brief: Jones fracture?

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine