My doctor prefers pravastatin 80mg over Lipitor (atorvastatin) 20mg or simvastatin 40mg. Says it is safer but can't really tell me why. Anyone agree and if so, why?

Dr. John Weeks

In brief: Drug interactions

Pravastatin is metabolized differently than Lipitor (atorvastatin) or simvastatin.
It may reduce the risk of adverse effects caused by interactions with other medications metabolized in the liver. (lovastatin, simvastatin, or Atorvastatin are oxidized by cytochrome p450 3a4 [cyp3a4], which is inhibited by many drugs. Pravastatin or fluvastatin are not oxidized by cyp3a4).

In brief: Drug interactions

Dr. John Weeks
Dr. John Weeks
Dr. Budi Bahureksa
also doctors may have preference -- also it is important to keep the dose at the lowest effective thus it might be safer to use Simvastatin 20 mg versus Pravastatin 80 mg -
Dr. Christopher White
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Lots of choice

Find a physician that will explain things to you.

In brief: Lots of choice

Dr. Christopher White
Dr. Christopher White
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology