I'm 29, have pcos and am planning on doing IVF with my own frozen eggs. What would my success chances be? How many eggs should I thaw for 5-7 embryos?

Dr. Julian Escobar
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Depends

The standard therapy is the freezing of embryos (fertilized eggs).
Usually 40% of retrieved eggs result in good embryos. Egg freezing is still experimental and thus you would have to expect that the embryo yield is lower than with standard ivf. If your clinic has experience with egg freezing, then ask what their success is to create embryos and most importantly, a live birth from frozen eggs.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Julian Escobar
Dr. Julian Escobar
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Variable

Egg freezing used mostly to bank eggs for the future.
If ready for ivf baby now then do std ivf not egg freeze. Success variable, some clinics have same as fresh eggs: ask clinic. I think it takes about 6 frozen eggs for 2 hq embryos. At 29 yo, you should transfer 1 embryo at a time to avoid multiples. You can freeze extra embryos for transfer later. Send comment if you need more info. Best wishes.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Variable

On average the pregnancy rate per frozen egg is 3-5%.
Not all eggs will unfreeze properly and not all will fertilize and then after all that occurs only half will produce good embryos. So normally you should be prepared to unfreeze more depending on how the initial ones unfreeze and do. You can always refreeze good embryos for later!

In brief: Variable

Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Frank Yelian

In brief: 4

You are young, i think thaw 4 eggs should be enough to have 2 good embryos, which should be result in a pregnancy.
It also depends on the quality of ivf lab, and how do they freeze your eggs.

In brief: 4

Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Amr Azim
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Practically speaking

What is the sperm source: 1.
If partner what is the strength of your relationship to him? If strong thaw all available eggs and fertilize them and transfer embryos one at a time freeze the others. If you want you can keep some eggs frozen under your sole custody. 2. If donor sperm i recommend thawing 2 eggs at a time and fertilize them and transfer 1-2 embryos while keep the other eggs frozen.

In brief: Practically speaking

What is the sperm source: 1.
Dr. Amr Azim
Dr. Amr Azim
Dr. Steven Lindheim
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Not recommended

The efficiency of frozen embryos is not like a fresh cycle.
The questions to consider !) how many will survive the thaw-generally 80% 2) what is the programs success rates-generally around 30-40% per transfer 3) better to be conservative- we recommend treating the cycle as a fresh transfer and typically will only transfer 1-2 embryos. If you thaw more-then think of refreezing extra ones.

In brief: Not recommended

Dr. Steven Lindheim
Dr. Steven Lindheim
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham