I recently found out I have pyelonephritis. Is this life threatening? & how come my doctor only gave me medication for 5 days? Is that normal?

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Each case, different

Pyelonephritis is a disease that displays different degrees of severity.
Some are very mild i.e. Fever under 100 degrees with no or slight loin pain and burning urination. Others may be very severe, like high fever, chills, exquisite loin tenderness and severe frequency, and burining urination. The duration of treatment and type of antibiotics vary accordingly.

In brief: Each case, different

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Jeremy Proctor

In brief: Follow closely

Pyelonephritis is an infection of the kidneys, usually caused by the spread of an infection that started in the bladder.
If left untreated, pyelonephritis is very serious and can result in bacteria being spread into the bloodstream. If caught quickly, and you aren't having fevers, severe pain, or complications such as damage to the kidneys, this type of infection can be treated as an outpatient.

In brief: Follow closely

Dr. Jeremy Proctor
Dr. Jeremy Proctor
Dr. Adam Smith