Am 43 with knee arthritis. Am always having stiffness and pain on moving knee joint after tennis. Pain disappears when I play tennis. Should I play?

Dr. Sreedhar Samudrala
In brief: Tennis is good
Tennis is good conservatively like doubles.

In brief: Tennis is good
Dr. Sreedhar Samudrala
Dr. Sreedhar Samudrala
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
agree with playing as benefits will likely outweight any negative. Would play doubles on a soft surface court
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine
You probably have some early arthritis.
When you play the joint warms up as do the muscles and you have minimal pain. Try to cool down to avoid stiffness after playing.

You probably have some early arthritis.
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Robert Purchase
Orthopedic Surgery
I agree that your presentation sounds like early arthritis.
The question of what activities to pursue is a quality of life issue that ultimately the patient needs to decide upon. I advise patients to limit their activities to those that they find most enjoyable. If tennis is important to you recreationally, it is also good exercise. So go for it.

Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine