Why are doctors so hard on prescribing pain medication if it seems to be the only thing getting through day by day with psoriatic arthritis pain?

Psoriasis pain. The issues is the type of pain medication. With a chronic condition a long acting steady state drug is the best as this avoids the ups and downs that a short acting agent will do. Using a short acting agent for a long duration is a very bad idea. Taking a short acting agent infrequently is not a problem.
ADDICTION. Narcotic pain medication should be the last resort in treating chronic pain. In america we have an epidemic of narcotic overdoses now outnumbering car accidents every year! --a sobering statistic! Doctors do want to get your pain under control (but we usually can not get rid of 100% of your chronic pain) if you have failed all disease modifying meds you are entitled to a trial long acting opioids.
Abuse. As you said, doctors are currently "hard" because more people die from unintentional overdose than from traffic accidents. Prescriptional drugs have higher rate of abuse than heroin and Cocaine together. People like yourself with chronic illnesses and pain can still get prescription but it would require opipid agreement and monitoring of addiction.
Opioid Medication. While it may appear that doctors are becoming reluctant to provide opioid analgesics this is definitely not their doing. The current issues surrounding both opioids and narcotics is resulting in increased scrutiny, censorship, penalties etc. - this produces more reluctance. Opioids are currently the last resort in chronic pain. Monitoring is required if they are used.