I have a bad phlegm taste in the back of my throat. What does this mean?

Dr. Robert Devin
Dentistry

In brief: Throat phlegm

Throat phlegm is often ropey saliva.
This is affected by dehydration, infection and certain foods. Easiest fix is to increase h2o intake by a liter a day. Non- alcoholic mouth washes are useuful as well. Brushing your teeth 3-4times a day is important. Any of the causes can create bad breath. Infection will become evident and needs treatment.

In brief: Throat phlegm

Throat phlegm is often ropey saliva.
Dr. Robert Devin
Dr. Robert Devin
Dr. Robert Devin
In addition to these causes many management medications for blood pressure, high cholesterol etc. will dry you mouth out too. Lastly alcohol will dry your mouth too. Limit you social intake to 3 or less drinks for men and 2 or less for woman, per day and less than 5 days a week.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology