Is it normal to have a swollen stomach 8 months after a tummy tuck?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Tummy tuck swelling
Swelling after a tummy tuck may persist for 9 months or more.
However, other treatable causes of fluid collection include the possibility of a seroma. Discuss this with your surgeon.

In brief: Tummy tuck swelling
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Not really...
Swelling after a tummy tuck varies with the extent of surgery and the health of the patient.
Still eight months afterward i can't remember the last time one of my patients was still swollen. See your surgeon to have this looked over.

In brief: Not really...
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 9 months is long
I fully agree with dr. Placik's answer, however 9 months is a long time to be overly swollen.
See your surgeon to determine whether you have a fluid collection or not. If you have lost confidence for whatever reason, consult an experience plastic surgeon for advice. Good luck.

In brief: 9 months is long
Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Emergency Medicine
In brief: No
Not from the surgery.
You need to get checked out to see if it is related to the surgery or something internal such as the bowel. Sometimes fluid can collect/build up in the tissue after surgery and should be checked out. If not related to the surgery, there are many abdominal conditions that can lead to "swollen stomach". Either way, you need to see your family doctor and surgeon to differentiate.

In brief: No
Not from the surgery.
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Robert Alexander
If swelling is variable and associated with mealtimes, the problem likely is intra-abdominal rather than above the muscle wall where the surgery was performed. Someone to give you a good abdominal and intestinal workup is a good place to start
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Depends.
Much will depend on what you mean by “swollen stomach” and what your physical findings are.
For accurate advice, follow up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to advise you accurately. Online “consultants” can only speculate. Best wishes.

In brief: Depends.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery