What can I use for my skin with my lupus?

Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Many lupus rashes

There is no one lupus rash.
People with lupus are normal people who can have a rash. That means just becuase you have lupus does not mean that every rash you get is due to lupus. There are a varietyof lupus rashes and these need to be defined because different rashes are treated differently - cutaneous lupus, subacute cutaneous lupus, discoid lupus, lupus profundus, raynaud's as example.

In brief: Many lupus rashes

There is no one lupus rash.
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Karen Han
Dermatology

In brief: Photoprotection!

Skin of patients lupus erythematosus (le) is very sensitive to sun exposure, regardless of what subtype of lupus you might have.
For this reason, i recommend all of my patients with le to use a broad spectrum sunscreen of at least spf 30, in addition to a hat and long sleeves shirt as much as possible. As dr goldman mentioned, the treatment will be dependent on the subtype of le.

In brief: Photoprotection!

Dr. Karen Han
Dr. Karen Han
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
SPF clothing is also available for additional protection. Solumbra is one brand.