Are any special tests needed, or can a regular doctor see me for my wheezing?

Holly Barth
General Practice

In brief: Go to your PCP

Go to your primary care physician.
They can asses if your wheezing is due to something they can easily treat and manage for you. If it is something more severe, they can refer you to a specialist.

In brief: Go to your PCP

Go to your primary care physician.
Holly Barth
Holly Barth
Answer assisted by Holly Barth, Medical Student
Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Depends

Primary care doctors treat wheezing, but some try to do it without getting lung tests - that's like treating hypertension without taking your blood pressure.
Most adults who wheeze before age 50 have allergies, and allergists are specially trained to diagnose and treat allergic disorders such as asthma. If your primary care doctor doesn't get your asthma under good control, see an allergist.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine