Got soap in my eye after cataract surgery. What should I do?

Dr. George Yang
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends

On how far out from cataract surgery you are.
If you are within one week of surgery, you have an increased risk for a serious infection inside the eye. If you have pain, redness or decreased vision, you need to contact your cataract surgeon right away.

In brief: Depends

Dr. George Yang
Dr. George Yang
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Rinse

Rinse the eye with preservative free tears and blot gently dry with a towel or tissue.
The soap should not harm the surgery, but may cause irritation to the surface of the eye, therefore rinse out and dry. The major concern is rubbing the eye and causing the wound to come open resulting in internal damage of the eye, or infection. So be gentle to rinse and dry! see your surgeon if problem.

In brief: Rinse

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Vicken Poochikian