Does Vicks vapor rub really help cure toe nail fungus?

Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry

In brief: NO

No, vicks vapor rub does not cure toenail fungus.
What it does is breakdown the actual nail construct and make it more pilable and softer to debride/trim down. Nail fungus is actually an infection of the toenail bed and you need actual antifungal medication topical, oral, or laser therapy to cure. Hope this helps.

In brief: NO

Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Welcome, if you have any other questions please let me know. Also, if you can, please vote for me or follow me on my profile. Thanks!
Dr. Adam Ringler
Podiatry

In brief: Vicks Nail Fungus

Although i've never read anything about this treatment for nail fungus, I do find several patients would've try this prior to coming to my office.
What I have seen it do is soften the nail and this allows the nail fungus to be removed easily however it is not itself an antifungal as far as i know.

In brief: Vicks Nail Fungus

Dr. Adam Ringler
Dr. Adam Ringler

In brief: Keep in mind...

The fda has recently come out with a blanket statement that toenail fungus can not be cured.
It is "managed" by a number of modalities, but it can always come back in the future. Oral antifungal medicines (lamisil), topical medications (formula 3), laser therapy, surgical removal, homeopathic applications (tea tree oil). Talk to a podiatrist for what will be best and most effective for you.

In brief: Keep in mind...

Dr. David Hettinger
Dr. David Hettinger

In brief: No

I have yet to read any study that vicks cures nail fungus.
You need antifungal medication. I hope this helps.

In brief: No

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman