I have seborrheic dermatitis on the mustache area. Normally I have all that part red. What i can do?

Dr. Susanne Gee
Dermatology

In brief: Yeast

Yeast is normal on the skin, but when the skin is flaky and/or red in a particular pattern, the yeast is overpopulating that area. Anti-yeast creams are helpful which can be over-the-counter or prescription. In addition, some anti-dandruff shampoos placed on the skin in these areas can knock down the yeast population very effectively and cheaply.

In brief: Yeast

Dr. Susanne Gee
Dr. Susanne Gee
Dr. Robert Bader
Dermatology

In brief: Facial seborrhea

Seborrheic dermatitis is believed to be caused by a yeast.
Therefore, we often recommend anti-yeast medications to keep the yeast counts down. These include: Nizoral (ketoconazole) shampoo or cream and head and shoulders shampoo. Once can wash the areas with the shampoos (which are over the counter) daily or twice a week. I recommend Hydrocortisone 1% cream to the areas once or twice a day for flares only.

In brief: Facial seborrhea

Dr. Robert Bader
Dr. Robert Bader