Will a gastric bypass help ibs?

Dr. Robin Baird
General Practice

In brief: No ...

Gastric Bypass is a surgical treatment indicated for severe obesity causing secondary health complications.
Irritable bowel Syndrome (IBS) is characterised by abdominal pain / bloating with bouts of constipation or diarrhoea. It is probably caused by the interaction of certain foodstuffs on somewhat sensitive and overactive intestines. Bypass Surgery is not indicated for IBS and will not help.

In brief: No ...

Dr. Robin Baird
Dr. Robin Baird
Dr. Paul Harper
Surgery

In brief: No.

Not to my knowledge.

In brief: No.

Not to my knowledge.
Dr. Paul Harper
Dr. Paul Harper
Dr. John Feola

In brief: R/O IBS

IBS IS DX OF EXCLUSION.
.( GASTRIC BYPASS MAY POTENTIALLY FLARE IBS)Especially screen for H pylori . Also stool screen x 3 for occult blood /parasite/hpylori . you also need a baseline colonoscopy. While you are getting these items checked out you should stick to a gluten free high fiber diet . Ie gutbliss.com and Wholeapproach.com. Also 64-80oz water.KEFIR &YOGHURT HAVE NATURAL PROBIOTICS.

In brief: R/O IBS

IBS IS DX OF EXCLUSION.
Dr. John Feola
Dr. John Feola
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics

In brief: Gastric bypass IBS

Generally not. In my experience, gastric bypass does not seem to have any effect on ibs, and patients usually continue to have ibs symptoms after surgery.

In brief: Gastric bypass IBS

Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Mujjahid Abbas
Bariatrics

In brief: It is unpredictable

It is not really predictable, some get better others get worse.

I typically recommend my patient with significant IBS to consider sleeve because of confusion otherwise IBS symptoms can cause in post operative period. Any abdominal pain after gastric bypass should be taken seriously and if one is having pain because of IBS then it is hard to assess unless expensive tests are done every time.

In brief: It is unpredictable

Dr. Mujjahid Abbas
Dr. Mujjahid Abbas
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery