Can I die from upper abdominal pain if I ignore it?

Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology
Depends on cause.
Some things like perforated ulcer and pancreatitis can present this way. Other things like gallbladder attacks or heartburn are common. Can also be unusual sign of heart ischemia -angina- if worse with activity. Need full story and exam to narrow down.

Depends on cause.
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Depends on cause.
As a general rule, "ignore" is never a good option when it comes to your health.
The causes of upper abdominal pain run the spectrum from minor (irritable bowel), to potentially serious (ulcer disease, gallstones), to life-threatening (cancer). I advise you to see a primary care doctor. Once you determine the cause, you will likely feel much better.

In brief: Depends on cause.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery