Is it worth a trip to the doctor for skin ulcers?

Yes, always. Causes of skin ulcesr range from benign, due to scratching, to very serious such as peripheral artery disease (pad). If you have an ulcer that does not heal in 2 weeks you should always see a doctor. There is often an underlying cause that needs treatment-such as infection or poor circulation before the ulcer will heal. Ulcers due to pad if left untreated can result in amputation of affected limb.
Always. A skin ulcer can be due to benign problems like scratching to very serious problems like peripheral artery disease. Sometimes skin ulcers are a sign of an internal condition such as inflammatory bowel disease. If you have skin breakdown that is not healed in 2 weeks always see a doctor to find out why.
Yes. Any persistent ulcer needs to be evaluated for cause.