Do lots of people get polymyalgia rheumatica, or is it unusual?

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Fairly common

Plymyalgia rheumatica is a fairly common rheumatic condition as compared to other rheumatic diseases.
It occurs in 50 to 55 people per 100, 000. It is twice as common in women as compared to men. It is rare below the age of 50 and increases as age continues to go up.

In brief: Fairly common

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. William Lizarraga

In brief: Not "lots"

But it is not rare either. Pmr is a disease of older adults (>50 years) and is found in about 7 per 1000 people.
It is more common in the scandinavian countries and people whose origins are from there. I would not call it unusual.

In brief: Not "lots"

Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. Vikram Patel