Can penicillin be used to treat pandas or prevent future pandas symptom exacerbations?

In brief: Yes and no
Panda's are a puzzeling diagnostic lable.
I have and will treat any significant acute or subacte rise in anti--strep antibody with antibiotics, as a reflection of years when i saw rheumatic fever. One 12yo i rxd resolved OCD behavior in the process. The chronic use of abx has lost faver over the years.My 12yo rcd daily pcn for years but developed psyc pbs in late adolescence. No concensus on this.

In brief: Yes and no
Dr. Allen Lewis
In brief: Yes w/ mixed results
The key factor in pandas treatment is to realize it is a post-infectious autoimmune d/o that attacks the brain.
It is the immune response to strep (or other infectious agents) that activate the immune system and leads to symptoms. Pcn may prevent infection and immune activation; however, that may not be enough. In recurrence, look for carriers in the home or classroom. http://pandasnetwork.org.

In brief: Yes w/ mixed results
Dr. Allen Lewis
Dr. Allen Lewis
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: It has been...
Studied to prevent strep infections in children with pandas with really equivocal results.

In brief: It has been...
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Jack Hinkle