My child has pandas. Should he have his tonsils removed?

Dr. Russell Faust
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Uncertain

The nih does not recommend tonsillectomy for treatment of pandas; there is no clear evidence from clinical trials that it helps.
On the other hand, there are many, many reports on sites like pandas foundation that tonsillectomy was the cure for their children. In my practice, I have seen some remarkable improvements following tonsillectomy, but again, these are "anecdotal". Ask your doc.

In brief: Uncertain

Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Robert Knox
if high antibody titters are part of your child's PANDA, I feel tonsillectomy is indicated to lessen the exposure to bacterial which live in the tonsils. However, once PANDAS has occurred, the immune system has already been stimulated.
Dr. Robert Knox
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: PANDAS tonsillectomy

If recurrent strep throat has been part of the problem or anti-streptolysis antibody levels are high, yes, tonsillecotmy is often performed.

In brief: PANDAS tonsillectomy

Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Jonathan Jassey