I'm gettin an IgG test done tommorow to see if I have been exposed to herpes. The only outbreak i had was 2 years ago. How long will the results take to come? Is it reliable?

Dr. Louis Cooper

Igg test for herpes is the test indicating prior exposure.
Igm test for herpes or other virus shows if there is a new or resolving new infection. Hope this helps.

Dr. Louis Cooper
Dr. Louis Cooper
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Herpes Testing

In the U.S. I get these test results within 48 hours.
I am unsure what the norms would be in canada.

In brief: Herpes Testing

Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: You won't learn...

You will not learn anything new.
Your titer will remain high once infected and it is always of the igg class after several years. No reason to do the test, other than confirm a previous diagnosis! since you are so young, you are at high risk for spreading the disease. I would place you on valcyclovir or famcylovir, since you shed virus 30% of the time without a known lesion!

In brief: You won't learn...

You will not learn anything new.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey