I was prescribed 120 mg of verapamil for migraine prevention. I have low blood pressure. Average 95/60. I'm afraid to try verapamil. Should i be?

Dr. Gregory Fehr
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Verapamil

A short acting but powerful hypotensive agent. It would be risky for a normotensive person to take this drug without medical supervision as it could cause lowering of the BP to a level that you could faint (pass out). Better meds are on the market.

In brief: Verapamil

Dr. Shin Beh
Neurology

In brief: Possibly

I agree with your apprehension about verapamil.
I don't particularly like using verapamil as a first or second line agent for migraine prevention. There are many other preventives out there. Speak with a neurologist to see what other options you have.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Arnon Rubin