Have post orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Since 18 get chest pain on exercise. See profile for tests. Im 22. Should I have CT scan?

Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Pots

Pots seems to affect young women and may sometimes occur after mono.
Your chest pain may be due to the fluctuations in your blood pressure while exercising. Try drinking fluids and maybe exercise at short intervals like 30 minutes at a time. You might discuss the use of a beta blocker with your doctor . I think a ct scan would be non revealing.

In brief: Pots

Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Joshua Liberman
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Not necessary

Pots syndrome is not associated with heart disease, or any other structural problem with the heart.
The best way to evaluate consistent exertional chest pain is with a routine exercise treadmill stress test. A rare possibility is that you could have a malformation of a coronary artery, where it travels in a strange/different direction. This could potentially be evaluated with an echo.

In brief: Not necessary

Dr. Joshua Liberman
Dr. Joshua Liberman
Dr. Victor Bonuel

In brief: If all the tests are

Normal, don't be alarmed and stay active and optimistic.
Your condition is not fatal. Get up slowly from a sitting or lying position. You may need to increase your salt and water intake. Ask your dr if a steroid pill that elevates blood pressure is appropriate for you. Take care!

In brief: If all the tests are

Dr. Victor Bonuel
Dr. Victor Bonuel
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine