If I have had a methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (mrsa) infection or been told that I carry mrsa, am I at high risk for developing a serious MRSA infection if I get seasonal influenza?

Dr. Robert Jackson
Dermatology
In brief: Possible
It might happen but it might not.

In brief: Possible
It might happen but it might not.
Dr. Robert Jackson
Dr. Robert Jackson
Dr. Booth Wainscoat
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: It is possible
Not all patients with a history of MRSA have problems after influenza.
It is very important to inform your doctor if you experience a relapse of symptoms after influenza.Early recognition & proper treatment of MRSA is crucial in avoiding serious complications.#1 is prevention of influenza with vaccine, hand hygiene & cough etiquette.Severe MRSA infection without a prior history of MRSA is possible.

In brief: It is possible
Dr. Booth Wainscoat
Dr. Booth Wainscoat
Dr. Michael Ein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: See below
If you are a nasal MRSA carrier you would be at increased risk for MRSA pneumonia complicating a case of influenza.
In many cases colonization can be eradicated by topical treatment ie. Mupirocin ointment and hibiclens soap shower and shampoo, sometimes combined with oral antibiotics such as Minocycline or septra (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim).

In brief: See below
Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology