How common is it for someone to need a hysterosalpingography?

Dr. Nancy Durso
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Very Common

Hysterosalpingography or hsg is still one of the first tests of infertility for all women.
This test helps to determine whether the fallopain tubes are open and whether the uterine cavity is normal. Traditionally it is performed using x-rays and a contrast dye. Recently I have been using a new device (femvue) to inject saline with air bubbles and use ultrasound to determine if they are open.

In brief: Very Common

Dr. Nancy Durso
Dr. Nancy Durso

In brief: Common

It is a very common test in the work up of infertility.
It is excellent way to determine if the fallopian tubes are patent without a more invasive examination. It is important to know if the basic anatomy is intact if one is going to go through an entire fertility work up and decision regarding treatment options.

In brief: Common

Dr. Ronald Dreifuss
Dr. Ronald Dreifuss
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: HSG Common?

I agree with dr d.
Let me add that hsg has bad reputation for being painful - not necessary with good technique. It is best for the tubes but only 50% as good as sis or hysteroscopy for uterine cavity (i often use the other techniques with hsg for complete picture). Hydrosalpinx very accurate (>90%) but adhesion diagnosis on 50%. Timing of test varies by your problem.

In brief: HSG Common?

I agree with dr d.
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Steven Lindheim
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Routine test

We recoomend this test for all of our infertility work-ups as it helps assess the uterus and fallopian tubes.
The tubes is where fertiliation takes place and the uterus is where an embryo implants. In next couple of years the hsg may go away. We are doing studies to use ultrasound to assess the tubes and cavity called sonosalpingography.

In brief: Routine test

Dr. Steven Lindheim
Dr. Steven Lindheim