Are there some genetic reasons I get tooth infection off and on?

Possibly. You may have an inherited condition that interferes with your immunity but it's much more likely that repeated tooth infection is related to infrequent professional care, inadequate oral hygiene, and choice of foods. Frequent brushing with good technique, flossing, and regular professional cleaning are the keys to avoiding further infection.
Probably not. There is no correlation between genetics and tooth infections. Tooth infections are due to poor oral hygiene, a compromised immune system and lack of routine dental care.