I asked a question before and 3 doctors agreed the answer was 'cataplexy'. I was wondering is it serious and will I have to see a neurologist?

Dr. Mark Patterson

In brief: Possibly

As you may know, cataplexy is a brief spell of loss of muscle tone, ranging from a shaky chin to completely falling down.
It is associated with narcolepsy. Ideally, you want a doctor who is up to date on current medical treatments and has some experience in caring for patients with this condition. Your primary care doctor may be able to do that, but you may need to see a specialist initially.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Possibly

Cataplexy can be minor or very troublesome depending on the severity.
It is frequently associated with narcolepsy. Both these conditions can be treated by a neurologist or sleep specialist. Ask your primary care provider if a consultation is necessary.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Michael Jones

In brief: Possibly

However you may want to start with your family doctor. I usually only send patients with narcolepsy w/cataplexy to neurologist or sleep specialist if it cannot be relatively easily controlled with medication.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Michael Jones
Dr. Michael Jones
Dr. Eric Weisman