Doc is treating me for strep. Pneumonia. Gave me z pack and steroid shot. I take inderal. Zoloft. Wellbutrin (bupropion). An synthroid. Can I take albuterol ?

Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
Albuterol as an inhaled medicine in minimally absorbed unless using large amounts.
In any case its main side effect would be palpitations, although in asthma, Inderal (propranolol) may promote bronchoconstriction, which the albuterol is targeted to treat. This is less of an issue in patients with fixed airway obstruction ( copd) so you should discuss with your doctor what role each of the medications is playing.

Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: Best not to
Inderal (propranolol) is a beta blocker; albuterol is a beta agonist; so they tend to counter each other; you might get increased bronchospasm with the combo.
There are potential interactions among the other meds you are taking as well. See your doc to possibly change some of your meds or at least optimize doses to minimize potential side effects.

In brief: Best not to
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Peter Kurzweil