Should I stayaway from vydican if I have weak kidneys?

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine

In brief: No

Vicodin, if used appropriately, is generally a very safe medication.
The active ingredients are metabolized, or broken down, in the liver, not the kidney. Ibuprofen (the active ingredient in advil (ibuprofen) or motrin) and other "nsaid" drugs can have adverse effects on the kidney, and you should be careful with those.

In brief: No

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: Vicodin

Vicodin's components, hydrocodone & acetaminophen, are both metabolized by the liver; so no dose adjustment is usually necessary for kidney pts.
However, if you have severe renal disease, be cautious with all meds. Vicodin is potentially more dangerous to the liver: the Acetaminophen portion (tylenol) can damage the liver if other tylenol-like meds are taken with it.

In brief: Vicodin

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Andrea Brand