Looking for info on sphenoid sinus disease/surgery for 8 yr old. Ped ENT observed for 1 yr & has worsened, now surgery. How rare is this procedure?

Dr. James Sidman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: It depends
Sphenoid sinus disease that causes symptoms such as headaches should be operated on if it does not respond to antibiotics.
If there are no symptoms, it probably isn't necessary to do surgery unless the doctor is concerned that there is a mass in the sinus, instead of just swelling or infection.

In brief: It depends
Dr. James Sidman
Dr. James Sidman
Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: Not "rare"
Unfortunately your description is not that uncommon.
I would say that no one wants to perform surgery on any child; unless absolutely necessary. If you feel comfortable with the peds ENT then fine; if not getting another opinion is totally justified and if it puts your mind at ease all the better.

In brief: Not "rare"
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey