What is the cause of my jaw pain?

Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Depends

Jaw pain can be related to a number of different causes, depending on which jaw you are having pain in.
It would help if you could describe the type of pain, frequency, as well as if you can localize the specific area where the pain is vs generalized pain. A thorough clinical evaluation with the appropriate studies by your dentist would be recommended.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Jaw pain causes

Many. Could be tooth problem, jaw joint problem, muscles in pain around TMJ.
bruxism, parotid gland problem, referred pain to jaw from heart pain. I would start with an oral surgeon to diagnose/make recommendations.

In brief: Jaw pain causes

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia

In brief: Multiple causes

From a dental standpoint, it could be coming from a problem with your teeth, your gums, grinding, clenching, and an infection to name but a few.
Have a local dentist examine you for the cause of your discomfort.

In brief: Multiple causes

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis