Is otitis media painful?

Yes it can be. It is not always painful but it can be painful in many instances.
Indescribably so. I have recent experience with this and now understand why babies are inconsolable when they have an ear infection. There is infected material under pressure in a small space. It is at least 8 out of 10 pain. Treatment should absolutley include pain medication of some sort along with decongestion so that the middle ear can drain. Some cases are also appropriately treated with oral antibiotics.
Yes, very. Om is very painful. It can be treated with a variety of pain relievers and/or surgical techniques.