Are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy bad?

Dr. Margarita Correa-Perez
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Sometimes

Neuropathic pain varies from mild to severe.
If related to conditions like diabetes mellitus, may improve controlling glucose level. If related to vitamin B12 deficiency, if treated pain gets better or disappear. Medications such as pregabalin, duloxetine can help treat pain related to diabetic neuropathy but do not cure the underlying condition.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Adam Teichman
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: It can be

When you suffer from peripheral neuropathy in the foot and ankle you loose what we call portective threshold.
This can lead to infections and open wounds, because you are unbale to feel things people who do not suffer form neuropathy. I would recommend seeing a speicialist ( neurologist or your famliy doctor) to guide you in what to do next.

In brief: It can be

Dr. Christopher Dowd

In brief: Underlying cause

I agree with the previous answers and would add that identifying and addressing the underlying cause, when possible, is important, and can delay or prevent worsening, and sometimes lead to improvement.
Diabetes is a common cause, B12 deficiency less common, and there are many others. Another common one is excessive alcohol consumption, and this can be addressed.

In brief: Underlying cause

Dr. Adam Smith