How can I reduce my risk of getting legionnaires' disease?

Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Pretty hard to do

Stay healthy, since most who get "legionaire's disease" are already ill with emphysema, heart failure, or other chronic illnesses.
Even then, the risk of any one individual getting this disease is extremely (almost unmeasurably) low. Its wasteful to worry about something for which you have so little risk. Better top think about eating well, exercising regularly, wear seatbelts, don't smoke.

In brief: Pretty hard to do

Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Avoid source

Legionnaires' disease is an infection with a legionella bacteria that causes a pneumonia.
It is transmitted in a waterborne fashion, often from cooling towers, humidifiers and such. It is not spread person-to-person. It is treated with antibiotics if found. Avoiding the source is the best way to avoid infection. There is no other preventive treatment that I am aware of.

In brief: Avoid source

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub