Do lots of people get rotator cuff syndrome, or is it unusual?

Dr. Eric Wang
Radiology

In brief: Hm. Complicated

I'm not sure there is a specific "syndrome" but plenty of ppl, especially the eldery and younger active overhand throwing athletes, show damage to the rotator cuff.
A portion of these people will be symptomatic from the damage. Acute ruptures in young people may be repaired surgically. In the elderly they may be treated with phys therapy only.

In brief: Hm. Complicated

Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Impingement syndrome

In my practice, which is limited to disorders of the shoulder and elbow, problems related to the rotator cuff are the most common complaints i see.

In brief: Impingement syndrome

Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Not unusual.

Rotator cuff syndrome/strain/tendinitis is extremely common.
Usually first treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.

In brief: Not unusual.

Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Neurology

In brief: Not that common

Rotator cuff tear , really cause inability to move the arm up, not just pain--more common inflamation of the tendons called tendinitis--get an exam.

In brief: Not that common

Dr. Gamal Boutros
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine