Do lots of people get rotator cuff syndrome, or is it unusual?

Dr. Eric Wang
Radiology
In brief: Hm. Complicated
I'm not sure there is a specific "syndrome" but plenty of ppl, especially the eldery and younger active overhand throwing athletes, show damage to the rotator cuff.
A portion of these people will be symptomatic from the damage. Acute ruptures in young people may be repaired surgically. In the elderly they may be treated with phys therapy only.

In brief: Hm. Complicated
Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Impingement syndrome
In my practice, which is limited to disorders of the shoulder and elbow, problems related to the rotator cuff are the most common complaints i see.

In brief: Impingement syndrome
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Not unusual.
Rotator cuff syndrome/strain/tendinitis is extremely common.
Usually first treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.

In brief: Not unusual.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Neurology
In brief: Not that common
Rotator cuff tear , really cause inability to move the arm up, not just pain--more common inflamation of the tendons called tendinitis--get an exam.

In brief: Not that common
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine