What can I do to make my home less conducive to legionella contamination?

Dr. Ziad Akl
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Rare disease
Legionella infections are rare and need several conditions to exist at the same time for an infection to occur. It is an organism that lives in water and is transmitted when water is aerosolized.
Proper plumbing design prevents the organism from thriving. Eliminate stagnant water and water holding tanks, iinsulate hot water pipes etc.

In brief: Rare disease
Dr. Ziad Akl
Dr. Ziad Akl
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: Legionella
Legionella likes moist areas like the condensers of dehumidifiers & air conditioners (& possible older refrigerators); so keep that equipment dry (and possibly sterilized with bleach solution or lysol).
If someone with legionella is/was in the home, wash linens in hot bleach water if possible; sterilize objects touched by the pt with lysol; if pt is coughing, have pt wear mask when around others.

In brief: Legionella
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis