Is there anything I can get from the grocery store or drug store for my adenovirus infection until I can see a doctor?

Tejas Ozarkar
General Practice
In brief: Adenovirus
For most cold & flu viruses, the only real treatment is supporting your body while it fights the infection.
Plenty of rest and fluids are the most important component of the treatment. You can also manage symptom with a fever reducer (acetaminophen - will also help with aches and headaches) and an analgesic spray for your throat. Make sure you wash you hands regularly so you don't spread it!

In brief: Adenovirus
Tejas Ozarkar
Tejas Ozarkar
Answer assisted by Tejas Ozarkar, Medical Student
Dr. James Marx
Pain Management
In brief: Try Zicam
Many patients find that using this remedy based upon homeopathic amounts of zinc greatly shortens the duration of symptoms.
It is available in lozenge and spray forms. A previously available nasal swab reportedly caused loss of the sense of smell. The trick is to use as soon as symptoms of the cold appear. There are many other remedies based upon zinc that also reportedly work well.

In brief: Try Zicam
Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Dr. Stanley Weiss
Homeopathic doses of zinc have never been shown to be effective. Several studies have suggested that zinc lozenges, if begun in the very early stages of infection, may help.
Dr. Jack Hinkle