Is it normal to need a tooth extraction?

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

A tooth extraction is very common and a dentist can probably address the incidence.
I know that it is less common for young people today because dentists have found ways to protect teeth compared to people my age (58). Still, any procedure, dental or medical, should be performed only after informed consent. I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Phillip Frist
Possibly, but my first question would be,can it be saved ?and if so why take something out then need to worry about what you are going to need to do to replace it?

In brief: Depends

If someone needs a tooth extracted, it often depends upon the reason- decay, abscess, gum disease, wisdom teeth, etc.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Common, not normal

Ideally all baby teeth should come out on their own and all permanent teeth should last a lifetime, so an extraction is not "normal".
However given the realities of life, dental extractions are sometimes necessary. For example when a tooth is too badly damaged to be restored or a baby tooth is unable to come out on its own extraction necessary, but it is not "normal".

In brief: Common, not normal

Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

Its normal only if it is necessary.
There are many reasons for tooth extraction . Too long to list here.

Its normal only if it is necessary.
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. James Beck
Dentistry

Unfortunately it is becoming more and more common, mostly due to people not having money to pay for a root canal and no dental insurance.
Also, the lack of oral hygiene in some populations is also increasing the incidence of teeth so bad the only option is extraction. On top of that, the american diet promotes tooth decay as well as drug abuse. Try to save your tooth instead of extract.

Dr. James Beck
Dr. James Beck