Do I have to bring someone along, or can I drive after cataract surgery?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology
In brief: Bring a driver
The most common form of anesthesia during cataract surgery is intravenous sedation.
The effects can last for several hours, and patients are essentially "drunk". It is not safe to drive for at least 6-12 hours after having sedation, and most ophthalmologists will advise their patients not to drive for up to 24 hours. You will often not be allowed to leave the surgery center without a driver.

In brief: Bring a driver
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Bring someone
Most people receive sedation with their cataract surgery so you will need a driver on tge day of surgery.
If you do not get any sedation, you could possibly drive home. Ask your surgeon.

In brief: Bring someone
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Probably
This is not my specialty - but I have seen scores of patients as they came and went from the hospital for cataract surgeries.
The ophthalmologist provided transportation to and from the hospital for all of those patients. Many of them had both eyes done, which i would expext could make driving unsafe for a while. Best to ask your surgeon.

In brief: Probably
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Rebecca Dale
Immediately after cataract sugery, you'll need someone else to drive due to the mild sedation that is usually provided during surgery. I tell my patients that for the day after, it is nice to have a driver arranged as the eye that was operated on may be blurred on the first day. The individual situation can vary, though ... If the other eye sees well, than you may be comfortable driving.
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Ophthalmology
In brief: Best to bring driver
Complication risk is very low & it is best time in history to have cataract surgery, but best to bring driver as vision most often is blurry after surgery.
More info: eyedoc2020.blogspot.com

In brief: Best to bring driver
More info: eyedoc2020.blogspot.com
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery