I have a foreign body in my eye? What can I do?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology

In brief: See an eye doctor

Foreign bodies that do not easily come out after flushing with water or lubricating eye drops need to be removed by a doctor. If you have a regular ophthalmologist and it is during regular office hours, you should call him/her and have the object removed immediately.
Alternatively, if you do not have an ophthalmologist, many E.R. Doctors are able to remove the foreign body as well.

In brief: See an eye doctor

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Object in eye

If it will not flush out with eye drops and blinking, then you need to see an er doctor or an ophthalmologist to remove it.
This is especially so if the vision is affected or you think the object might have penetrated the eye. Otherwise you should not wait more than 24 hours for it to spontaneously leave until you get attention.

In brief: Object in eye

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Arnon Rubin