Is the robotic surgery a risky thing to do?

Dr. Miguel Cano
In brief: Shouldn't be
It's a good way to provide finesse and precise surgery in the right hands.
Pick a well-trained, experienced surgeon and you'll be fine. You don't want to be a resident's first case...

In brief: Shouldn't be
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano
2 comments
Dr. Scott Welker
I do robotic surgery, and I can assure you it is LESS risky than any other surgery. If not, we wouldn't do it.
Dr. Patrick Weix
The improved visualization and finer control of instruments add to the improved safety, even in more complex cases. Your surgeon should be able to discuss the safest route for your surgery.
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics
In brief: Robotic surgery
No, though it depends on the type of operation you are having done.
Any operation carries some risk. Doing it robotically is no different. Just make sure you go to an experienced laparoscopic and robotic surgeon.

In brief: Robotic surgery
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: No
Actually better visualization than open and laparoscopic.

In brief: No
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
2 comments
Dr. Jason Sample
I agree with Dr. Cohen, but I would add that ALL operations carry risk and that you should discuss these risks with your surgeon.
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Agree + 2. Robotics gives great visualization. In my opinion complications should be lower, but we lack actual studies to confirm either way. The most important thing is the experience of your surgeon. One should seek a surgeon that performs many surgeries a month, preferably even many per week. Many surgeons do only 1-2 cases a month or even less.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Some risk
All surgeries have certain risks.
In experienced hands the robotic surgeries are as safe, and sometimes safer than the comparable surgery completed as an open procedure. The robot allows your surgeon to perform a potentially difficult surgery through several small incisions, giving you a quicker and easier recovery. Good luck with your surgery.

In brief: Some risk
All surgeries have certain risks.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Training
All surgeries have certain risks.
There is limited comparative data in some procedures. However, robotics provides more precision and better visualization (3d & magnification). Many believe this provides added safety over surgery performed by traditional laparoscopic technique. In experienced and trained hands, robotic surgeries are safe.

In brief: Training
All surgeries have certain risks.
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Dr. Loki Skylizard