Can I die from lead poisoning if I ignore it?

In brief: Progressive disorder

Lead accumulates in tissues like nerve cells, bone etc.
It interferes with the metabolic pathways of the body in a gradual and progressive way.At very low levels it may do nothing but if you have increased levels, the source needs to be identified & stopped before you acquire enough to develope brain toxicity, damage or death.Lead can be removed but rx should include eliminating the source.

In brief: Progressive disorder

Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: May become ill

Lead poisoning in adults commonly causes headache, memory loss, anemia, and defects in the nervous system that can lead to muscle weakness.
High enough levels of lead may even be lethal. For this reason, lead poisoning should not be ignored and can be treated by a physician.

In brief: May become ill

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student