What type of doctor can order a lower extremity joint mri?

Various. Evaluation of a joint is done to look for ligament and bony disruption in the case of unexplained pain, ongoing disease (like arthritis) or trauma. A joint MRI can be ordered by your family doctor, an er doctor, an orthopedic surgeon or a rheumatologist. It is performed by a radiologist who will evaluate the results.
Most. Almost any Doctor can order an MRI for a patient, although some state regulations vary. MDs, DOs, Chiropractors, Dentists, Podiatrists, and others can order MRI in my State. The limiting factor in my area is the insurance company and workman's compensation, which sometime pre-screen the order and will only pay for MRI done at specific locations and interpreted by specifically trained Doctors.