What type of doctor can order a lower extremity joint mri?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Various

Evaluation of a joint is done to look for ligament and bony disruption in the case of unexplained pain, ongoing disease (like arthritis) or trauma.
A joint MRI can be ordered by your family doctor, an er doctor, an orthopedic surgeon or a rheumatologist. It is performed by a radiologist who will evaluate the results.

In brief: Various

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Radiology

In brief: Most

Almost any Doctor can order an MRI for a patient, although some state regulations vary.
MDs, DOs, Chiropractors, Dentists, Podiatrists, and others can order MRI in my State. The limiting factor in my area is the insurance company and workman's compensation, which sometime pre-screen the order and will only pay for MRI done at specific locations and interpreted by specifically trained Doctors.

In brief: Most

Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Steven Seres