Will carotid artery disease kill me if I don't get treatment?

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Stroke

Stroke is the most common complication of carotid artery disease.
Some strokes are not survivable. If you have carotid disease, there is a higher chance of coronary disease as well. Coronary disease often leads to heart attacks and sudden death.

In brief: Stroke

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: No

If you have carotid stenosis that is of significance then you should have surgery to remove the blockage.
The degree of stenosis that makes you a candidate for surgery varies for symptomatic patients as opposed to symptomatic patients. The goal however is to prevent stoke.

In brief: No

Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Stroke

Blockage in the carotid artery can cause stroke especially if the stenosis is more than fifty percent.

In brief: Stroke

Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. Umesh Patel