Are any special tests needed, or can a regular doctor see me for my cystic fibrosis?

SPECIALIST. Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a complex, chronic illness, and should probably best be managed by someone who sees a lot of CF patients. This probably means a pulmonologist, most likely at an academic hospital.
Both. A CF patient is a great example of why a medical home is good for patients.Many routein life events are appropriately handled by your fp/ped/im while other issues related to CF are handled thru coordinated care of the specialties involved. Your primary physician is well aware of the direction problems can head & can redirect you to your pulmonoligist or GI if appropriate.
Cystic Fibrosis. I would see a lung and a GI doctor for this chronic problem.
CF center. I most countries, it is highly recommended that CF patients be followed by an CF center. CF centers are centers that employ physicians with expertise on this disease. All CF patients should have a primary care physician for their overall care, but they should also be followed by a CF center.
Special tests. Special tests are needed to diagnose cystic fibrosis. Blood tests are not enough, a positive test has to be interpreted in the right clinical context. A negative test does not rule it out. Best is to see a pulmonologist, specifically a cystic fibrosis specialist or cystic fibrosis clinic if you have access to one.