My friend says I should get checked to see if I have a vesicovaginal fistula. What is that?

Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: Connection

A vesicovaginal fistula is an abnormal connection between the bladder and vagina.
Symptoms might be constant leaking of urine out the vagina, or frequent urinary tract infections. A urogynecologist would be able to evaluate this problem.

In brief: Connection

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
A urogynecologist could certainly evaluate for a vesicovaginal (VV) fistula. However, if you do not have easy access to a "urogynecologist", any Ob/Gyn can easily evaluate for this problem - and most Ob/Gyn's are fully trained and competent not only to evaluate for a VV fistula, but also to perform a completely appropriate repair.