My brother says I should get treated because once in a while I get a few minutes of chest pressure. Should i?

Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Chest pressure

Generally, your brother is correct.
Chest pressure that (1) feels like squeezing or pressure just under the breast bone in the middle of your chest; (2) that gets worse with exercise and (3) goes away with rest should always be checked. For people in their coronary prone years (after age 40), even with 1 or 2 or these 3 symptoms should be checked. Otherwise you do not needed to be evaluated.

In brief: Chest pressure

Generally, your brother is correct.
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Should see MD

Treatment will depend on the cause of the chest pain.

In brief: Should see MD

Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Colin Kerr
The most important cause of chest pain is heart disease. If you're over 50, smoke, have high blood pressure, are overweight, don't exercise, have high cholesterol, or have diabetes, then you are at substantially increased risk. If the pain occurs with exertion, feels like a pressure or squeezing right under your breast bone, and is relieved by rest, you should see MD immediately.
Dr. Umesh Patel