Any non-prescription help for someone with ototoxicity from past medications?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: No

Ototoxicity may be temporary as occurs from an overdose of Aspirin improving by just stopping the aspirin, or it may be persistent or even permanent as from toxic doses of streptomycin, gentamicin, or furosemide.
I'm not aware of any medication you can take, prescription or over the counter, that will help. Avoiding further exposure especially at toxic doses is the key.

In brief: No

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
2 comments
Dr. Patrick Melder
If you suspect ototoxicity - you need to see an ENT and get an audiogram and have your balance tested.
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Agree with Dr Melder. See an ENT. You will need a hearing test or two to make sure your hearing loss is not getting worse.